Registration of a .fi domain name
The domain name is your unique address on the internet. The .fi extension is Finland’s national domain name extension. Many companies want it at the end of their website and email addresses because of the trustworthy impression it creates.
The Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom is responsible for the management of the .fi domain names. However, since 5 September 2016 it is no longer possible to obtain .fi domains directly from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom. As of that date, domains must be registered through a domain name registrar.
Lanetti.fi will register the domain of your choice for you as soon as you pay for a subscription. You can also order services from us for domain name registration, or simply reserve domain names for future use.
Check if the domain you want is free
Price and validity periods
You can apply for .fi domain names for one to five years at a time. If you want to redirect a domain name to the website, you can get the necessary name servers with your web hosting package or domain park, but external name servers can also be used. You can also register a domain name without name servers to have them available for future use.
Registration price for .fi domain names:
- 1 year €12.90 (plus 24% VAT)
- 2 years €25.80 (plus 24% VAT)
- 3 years €38.70 (plus 24% VAT)
What must a .fi domain name be like?
- The length can be anywhere from 2 to 63 characters.
- The permitted characters are the letters a to z plus the Finnish characters å, ä and ö, the digits 0 to 9, the hyphen (-), and the characters of the Sámi language spoken in Finland.
- The domain name cannot begin or end with a hyphen.
- The third and fourth characters cannot both be hyphens.
- The domain name cannot be based on another protected name or trademark. The registers can be checked here.
Using the Finnish letters å, ä and ö in .fi domain names
Under the Internationalized Domain Names (IDN) system, since 2005 it is possible to apply for names ending in the .fi extension that contain the characters å, ä or ö.
A domain name containing one or more local characters is not the same as a name without national characters. For instance, ääkkönen.fi and aakkonen.fi are different domain names. As such, they must be applied for separately.
Restrictions on registering .fi domain names
It is forbidden to register a domain name based on another person’s or company’s protected name or trademark.
Under the Finnish Information Society Code, the following types of names and marks are protected:
- names or marks registered in the trade register or into the registers of trademarks, associations, foundations, or political parties
- the name of a public body, unincorporated state enterprise, independent public corporation, public association, or diplomatic mission of a foreign state or its bodies
- established names, secondary marks or trademarks referred to in the Business Names Act or Trademarks Act
- EU trademarks registered in the register of the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
You can check protected names and trademarks in the following registers:
- Business Information System of the Finnish Patient and Registration Office and the Finnish Tax Administration
- Finnish Patent and Registration Office
- Finnish Trademark Register
- EU trademark database of the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
At the time of registration, the desired domain name must not:
- match any other protected name or mark, unless the domain name user can provide an acceptable reason for registering such a domain name.
- resemble the protected name or trademark of another person or organisation, if the name is registered with the obvious intention of obtaining benefit or causing harm.
Read more on the website of the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom.
Transferring a .fi domain name with a registrar’s registrar transfer key
The registrar’s registrar transfer key can be used to transfer a domain from one registrar to another. If you are transferring your domain to us, the order form will ask you for a registrar transfer key. You can get this for your domain name from your current registrar. If you do not already have a domain name registrar, you can obtain a registrar transfer key directly from the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom.
If you ever decide to switch from Lanetti to another registrar, you can find the registrar transfer key on our customer page under “My domains”.
Lanetti is an official domain name registrar
We are a reliable domain name registrar approved by the Finnish Transport and Communications Agency Traficom, and we meet the conditions set by Traficom for data security in our domain registering activities. We also register all possible domain name extensions.
You can easily manage your domains through our customer pages:
- Edit name servers
- Edit glue records for name servers
- Changes contact information
- Apply to a registrar for a registrar transfer key
- Renew or cancel renewal of a domain
Termination of a .fi domain name subscription
You can terminate your domain name before the expiry date by sending us a support request. You can also turn off the automatic renewal of your domain on the customer pages, which will automatically expire at the end of the paid period.
Register your domain